Mike Colle has just been elected for the 6th time as MPP for Eglinton-Lawrence. He was first elected as an MPP in 1995.
Mike Colle has served the people of Eglinton-Lawrence where he has lived, worked, and has raised his family, as a teacher, city councillor, TTC Chairman, and MPP.
Prior to being elected as an MPP in 1995, Mike served as a City of York Councillor and a Metropolitan Toronto Councillor where he served as TTC commissioner and was Chair of the TTC from 1988 to 1994. Mike taught High School history at St. Michael’s College School and coached their senior football team for 18 years.
Successful Private Members Bills & Initiatives For Which Mike Has Advocated:
- Improved care and awareness for Pregnancy and Infant Loss across the province; ensuring mothers and their babies get the health care and support they need and deserve;
- Modernized Animal Protection Legislation in Ontario;
- Protecting the Oak Ridges Moraine and creation of Ontario's Greenbelt;
- Establishing May as Jewish Heritage Month in Ontario (Jewish Heritage Month Act);
- Protecting Caregivers and Nannies from Exploitation (Caregiver and Foreign Worker Recruitment Act);
- Legislation for Portable Heart Defibrillators (AED) in Public Places (Portable Heart Defibrillator Act);
- Recognizing and Regulating Traditional Chinese Medicine (Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners Act);
- Introduced Resolution Proclaiming June 4th Tom Longboat Day in Ontario (Tom Longboat Day Act);
- Installing Red Light Cameras at Dangerous Intersections (Red Light Cameras Act);
- Elimination of Mandatory Retirement for people reaching 65;
- Delivering Funding for Baycrest Research Centre for Aging and the Brain and Cafe Europa, which was established for Holocaust Survivors;
- Expanded Community Policing in Schools and High Risk Areas;
- Led the Community in the Fight to Save the Eglinton Theatre;
- Started construction of the Eglinton Subway as TTC Chair in 1990;
- Pushed successfully for restarting and building of the Eglinton Crosstown;
- Shop Local Campaigns for Dufferin, Marlee, and Eglinton Avenues;
- Established Eglinton 20/20 to plan Eglinton Avenue for the future;
- Helped secure $16 Million to keep our public pools open in the City of Toronto.
As Your MPP, Mike Colle Continues to Work On...
- Making auto-insurance affordable for young people and new driviers and forgiveness for minor accidents;
- Spearheading the campaign to save historic Postal Station "K" at Yonge and Montgomery;
- Fighting to end Genetic Discrimination for employment and insurance purposes;
- Creating the Marlee-Ville Festival, showcasing shopping and community revitalisation;
- Full-day kindergarten in all schools without boundary changes;
- Ensuring the Eglinton-Crosstown Subway gets built and does not get cancelled, again;
- Fighting to improve Sickle Cell and Thalassemia Care;
- Leading Shop Canadian, Shop Eglinton, and Shop Dufferin campaigns to encourage local shopping;
- Protecting gas station workers from Gas-and-Dash thefts (Jayesh's Law);
- Protecting our vulnerable residents from bed bug infestations;
- Banning hand guns in cars and bars;
- Supporting clean, renewable energy jobs through wind, solar, and conservation investment;
- Banning credit scoring for home-owners' insurance;
- Comprehensive Cycling Plan.
Currently, Mike is the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Labour and a Member of the Standing Committee on General Government.
Mike and his wife Sharon have four children and six grandchildren. Mike is a life long marathon runner, with a personal best time of 3:29. On October 16th, 2016, Mike proudly completed the 42km Soctiabank Waterfront Marathon!