Mike Colle has just been elected for the 6th time as MPP for Eglinton-Lawrence. He was first elected as an MPP in 1995. Mike has been the local MPP for Eglinton-Lawrence for 22 years.
Mike Colle has served the people of Eglinton-Lawrence where he has lived, worked, and has raised his family, as a teacher, city councillor, TTC Chairman, and MPP.
Prior to being elected as an MPP in 1995, Mike served as a City of York Councillor and a Metropolitan Toronto Councillor where he served as TTC Commissioner and was Chair of the TTC from 1988 to 1994. Mike taught High School history at St. Michael’s College School and coached their senior football team for 18 years.
Standing Up and Fighting for the Underdog:
Successful Private Members Bills & Initiatives:
- Closing the insurace loophole to protect innocent co-insureds who are victims of domestic violence;
- Reducing legal fees paid to personal injury lawyers to ensure that accident victims in Ontario are able to keep as much of their settlement money as possible;
- Fighting to create School Safety Zones around local schools to protect our children;
- Supporting Stella's Place to help young people with mental health challenges;
- Making auto-insurance affordable for young people and new driviers and forgiveness for minor accidents;
- Fighting to end Genetic Discrimination to remove barriers to insurance, employment, and health research;
- Full-day kindergarten in all schools without local boundary changes;
- Promoting better healthcare for Sickle Cell and Thalassemia patients;
- Protecting vulnerable gas station workers from gas-and-dash thefts (Jayesh's Law);
- Protecting our vulnerable residents from bed bug infestations;
- Getting hand guns out of cars and off our streets.
- Improved care and awareness for Pregnancy and Infant Loss across the province; ensuring mothers and their babies get the health care and support they need and deserve;
- Modernized Animal Protection Legislation in Ontario;
- Protecting the Oak Ridges Moraine and creation of Ontario's Greenbelt;
- Establishing May as Jewish Heritage Month in Ontario (Jewish Heritage Month Act);
- Protecting Caregivers and Nannies from Exploitation (Caregiver and Foreign Worker Recruitment Act);
- Legislation for Portable Heart Defibrillators (AED) in Public Places (Portable Heart Defibrillator Act);
- Recognizing and Regulating Traditional Chinese Medicine (Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners Act);
- Introduced Resolution Proclaiming June 4th Tom Longboat Day in Ontario (Tom Longboat Day Act);
- Installing Red Light Cameras at Dangerous Intersections (Red Light Cameras Act);
- Elimination of Mandatory Retirement for people reaching 65;
- Delivering Funding for Baycrest Research Centre for Aging and the Brain and Cafe Europa, which was established for Holocaust Survivors;
- Expanded Community Policing in Schools and High Risk Areas;
- Led the Community in the Fight to Save the Eglinton Theatre;
- Started construction of the Eglinton Subway as TTC Chair in 1990;
- Pushed successfully for restarting and building of the Eglinton Crosstown;
- Shop Local Campaigns for Dufferin, Marlee, and Eglinton Avenues;
- Established Eglinton 20/20 to plan Eglinton Avenue for the future;
- Helped secure $16 Million to keep our public pools open in the City of Toronto.
Currently, Mike is the Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Labour and a Member of the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs and the Standing Committee on Estimates.
Mike and his wife Sharon have four children and six grandchildren. Mike is a life long marathon runner, with a personal best time of 3:29. On October 16th, 2016, Mike proudly completed the 42km Soctiabank Waterfront Marathon!